Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

We lived in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. Because

We lived in New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina. Because of the disaster, we had to move to find new work. It was hard to sell our house and we took a big loss. Tax law re: deduction of losses incurred in federally declared disasters changed in 2008. Can I deduct the loss on selling our house in Dec. 2007 (it took 2 years to find a buyer after the hurricane) on my 2008 taxes or amend my 2007 taxes to take the loss?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

The Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 offers a new option to homeowners who previously claimed a casualty loss deduction resulting from hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma. -,,id=203056,00.html

• Allows all taxpayers, not just those who itemize, to claim the casualty loss deduction regardless of the taxpayer's adjusted gross income level;
  • Increases the amount by which all individual taxpayers must reduce their personal casualty losses from each casualty from $100 to $500 for taxable years beginning after Dec. 31, 2008. The reduction amount returns to $100 for taxable years beginning after Dec. 31, 2009;
  • Removes the requirement that the net casualty loss deduction be allowed only if the casualty loss exceeds 10 percent of the taxpayer's adjusted gross income;
  • Provides a five-year net operating loss (NOL) carryback for qualified natural disaster losses.
  • Waives certain mortgage revenue bond requirements for affected taxpayers and allows the bond proceeds to be used for rebuilding.

However - you may not deduct the capital loss for selling your personal property. Please see if any applies to your situation.

Let me know if you need any help.