Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

My son married a woman in 2008 who is applying for citizenship

My son married a woman in 2008 who is applying for citizenship presently. She has two children who have social security numbers (born in US) but she only has an ITIT number. She did not work in 2008, how should he file his taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

does she had any income in 2008?

was they married in 2008 or 2009?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I believe she did but it was under an inaccurate name and social security number.

The two were maried in 2008.

Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

I suggest to file a joint tax return as this generally would provide more deductions.

You may use ITIN in place of SSN, but most likely you would not be able to file electronically - please verify with your provider.

If this case - the only option would be to mail a paper return - that will take some time and will delay refund, but eventually you will get it.

Please also verify that if children are below 17 - your son will get additional recovery stimulus credit - $300 for each child.

Let me know if you need help with reporting.