Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

My wife is Canadian. She is not able to enter the country

My wife is Canadian. She is not able to enter the country at this time while her paperwork is being finalized. I live/reside in Denver, CO. While we await her paperwork to finish I plan to visit her frequently. My job lets me work remotely and my company is supportive of me doing my job from there (all I need is a laptop). My plan is go visit CAN a couple of weeks at a time, return to Denver for a couple of weeks, and repeat this. My company is concerned about payroll taxes while they let me do this. I subject to any Canadian Tax Laws due to this? I am working for a US Company... paid in US dollar... own my home here, etc... I do not have any property in CAN and aside from my wife being stuck there for awhile, have no other connection.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

You will not owe any tax to Canada. If you were actually a resident of Canada, or if you were actually traveling to Canada for the purpose of working there, then you would be subject o tax in that country.

However, to just visit your wife and work remotely from your laptop does not constitute a taxable situation. It is no different than if someone who works for a company travels frequently and does work in his hotel room while he is on the road. He does end up owing tax to every state that he visits, just because he is also performing some work functions while he is there.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again dejbrook,

I just realize that I had a "typo" in my respone to you. What I meant to say about a person who travels is that he does NOT end up owing tax to every state that he visits. Hopefully you figured out what I meant, but I apologize if I caused you any confusion.

Thank you.