Lou, Tax Preparer
Experience:  25+ yrs Experience Personal Income Taxes - Former DM for H&R Block in California

I left a job in 2008 and, upon departing, forfeited a significant

I left a job in 2008 and, upon departing, forfeited a significant amount of deferred compensation inthe form of stock options and restricted stock units. Can I consider those securities as abandoned and take a deduction for their value?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lou replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.

If one of the conditions of your receiving those options was your continued employment and you separated from service then you are not in a position to claim any losses.

You can only declare losses on owned business property that loses value. It would be like asking to get a tax deduction for lost wages because you separated from service.

Usually deferred compensation plans require continued service to the company in order to gain any ownership of the assets in the plan.

I know it would be nice to be able to do as you have ddescribed and I wish I could tell you that was an option availalbe to you.

If you have any further questions on this topic, be sure andd get back to me.