Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer
Experience:  25+ yrs Experience Personal Income Taxes - Former DM for H&R Block in California
8893033

After working for five years and paying taxes in Ct. I moved

Customer Question

After working for five years and paying taxes in Ct. I moved to Las Vegas for six months paying taxes there. Then to Mississippi for six month paying taxes there. I've now moved to Singapore and have a three year contract with a company and plan to stay three years or longer. My question:- I have a house in Ct. my wife and daughter live there and they did not move to L.V or MS. with me. Do I pay taxes to Mississippi where I was last employed or Ct. where my family and house are?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lou replied 7 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.

Because your tax home is CT you will file as a CT resident and MS non-resident. You will receive credit for the taxes you paid in MS on your CT return.

Here is a link to MS Tax Commission where you can get forms and instructions for completing you MS tax return.

http://www.mstc.state.ms.us/

Nevada has no state income tax.

You will qualify, it appears based upon your question, for the foreign income tax credit for the next 3 or so years. I am attaching a link that you might find helpful in that area:

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc856.html

If you have further questions on this topic, be sure and get back to me.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you I hope to get the foreign income tax credit.
Expert:  Lou replied 7 years ago.
Based upon what you have said you should qualify for the foreign tax credit.