Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I bought stock, which I sold in 2008, from an employee stock

Customer Question

I bought stock, which I sold in 2008, from an employee stock purchase program back in 2000 -2003. The company was bought out, and changed the brokerage that was used, yet another lost paper trail. Now I can't find my orginal records - what can I do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 7 years ago.

Hello snow sylph,

There are numerous sites on the internet that you can use to find out the basis on the stock that you purchased.

Figuring the cost basis can be complicated, because it's more than just what you paid for the stock. If the stock has split or you reinvested dividends, your basis on those shares is not the same as the original cost of the stock. One tool that can help is a website called Gainskeeper (, which can figure out your basis, including splits and dividends. All you need is the stock name or ticker symbol and the date of purchase. Gainskeeper charges a fee for this service.

You can try to contact others that worked there too and see if they were able to retrieve or keep their records.

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful,