RD
RD, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, MBA, Over 10 yrs of experience in tax planning and business consulting..
510454

I got married last year and wonder if I should file married

I got married last year and wonder if I should file married filling separate? I made $145,00 last year and my wife made $50,000. I am in sales and got taxed heavily and wonder if I will get more back filing separately so I don't get pushed into a higher tax bracket filling joint?
Category: Tax
Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.

Considering the income for you and your spouse, it will be advisable to file as married filing joint.

Let me know if you have any question.

Please note: This advice is provided with the understanding that all the relevant facts have been provided by you. Any change in facts might affect the advice given and hence may not be relied on in such cases. Nothing contained in this reply was intended or written to be used, can be used by any taxpayer, or may be relied upon or used by any taxpayer for the purposes of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code of 1986, as amended.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
After entering my data in TurboTax I entered my wife's and my return immediatley jumped from $10,000 to $3,000. Why would that be the case? Should I go to someone like HR block? I don't own anything like a house and think that TurboTax will work but am uncertain and want to make sure I get the most back. Please advice
Expert:  RD replied 7 years ago.

You can use turbo tax. You need to determine the tax return as married filing joint and married filing separate.

Normally Turbo tax will compare the options for you.

Let me know if you have any question.