Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

Trying to update our W-4. For Line F, Im not sure what to

Trying to update our W-4. For Line F, I'm not sure what to put. Is this separate from line G? We have 3 children, and I stay home. Is the income they ask about before or after taxes? we're right on the borderline. Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Line F is totally separate from line G.

Line F is asking if you have expenses of $1,800 or more that you pay in the year for one or more of your children for child care. In other words, do you pay someone to watch your children while you work.

Line G pertains to the child tax credit which is automatically allowed for children under the age of 17. It has nothing to do with expenses you pay for the care of a child while you work. If any of your 3 children are under the age of 17, then you enter the number of children under age 17 on line G.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button.

Thanks for using JA.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your answers...I'm still wondering what to put for Line G., as the number entered per child differs for incomes less than $90,000 married versus between $90,000-$119,000 married. Not sure if these income levels are for before or after taxes?

Our after tax income is approximately $86,000 right now, so that would mean inputting for three children=2+2+2=6. Then I'm supposed to -1 since we have 3 kids: 6-1=5 for Line G.

If it's supposed to be before tax, then I guess I need to redo the math: 1+1+1=3 for Line G.
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello again sully,

The income levels are referring to your "before tax" income.   Calculate your entries on this line based on your gross income -- and not your income after taxes.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.