How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Filing California Form FTB 3522 and 568 for a LLC.

Customer Question

Help in filing CA form 568 and FTB 3522 for a LLC. We are categorized as social assistance, provide social service and do not sell goods. We started the LLC last summer, paid our required $800, made less than $3000 during 2008 which we reported in our 2008 taxes under business profit/loss Schedule C, 1040. I assume we have to file a CA Form 568 for the LLC and of course pay the obligatory $800 using FTB 3522 - Tax Voucher.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.


Can you tell me: for federal tax purposes, are you a sole proprietor (sole owners), partnership, did you take an S-election, etc.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sole prop. (wife and I are co owners). No employees. We offer pscychological counseling to private couples, attorneys and owners of small companies. We reported ourt profits and losses on our Fed. Income Tax. We are listed as a LLC.
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.

Thank you.

Then I assume you are using schedule C to file your federal taxes.

In California, an LLC with a single owner may

(1) elect to be classified as an association taxable as a corporation, or

(2) elect to disregard its status as an entity separate from its owner, treat its activities as a sole proprietorship, branch, or division of the owner, and have its activities included in the tax return filed by the owner. (See Cal. Code. Reg., tit. 18, § 23038(b)-2(a).)

However unless you are organized as a non-profit and have tax exempt status from the fed, you are still required to pay the 800 dollars a year.


You are required to use form 3522 if any of the following are true:

  • The LLC has articles of organization accepted by the California Secretary of State (SOS).
  • The LLC has a certificate of registration issued by the SOS
  • The LLC Is doing business in California.

NOTE: Remember, you have unlimited followup if this does not meet your needs, please let me know.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience