Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

I am a retired police officer who received a disability retirement

I am a retired police officer who received a disability retirement which is not taxed. I recieve a 1099 R and was advised by the IRS that I owe taxes on this money. Is disability retirement taxed for police officers?

The Federal government does not exempt public service pensions including military.

Any 1099-R income that is received is taxable at the Federal level.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ed when I retired I recieved 66 2/3 for disability and was told that my retirement was tax exempted because I was retired for a disability. I have filed my taxes every year and this is the first year i have been told that my disability was taxable is this a change in the tax code.

Let me ask you a few more questions, please.

From what source is the pay? is it coming form an annuity and insurance company or form your retirement plan?

What is your retirment plan name?

On the form 1099-R what blocks are filled out, include any blocks that have check marks, code letter or numbers and dollar amounts. block by block.?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My retirement comes from the Md state retirement agency Pension Payment for disability. I recieve a 1099-R and the following blocks are completed:
Block 1 has the amount.
Block 7 has a code 3.
Block 11 has the state tax ID number
Block 15 has a pick up contribution amount.

The IRS states that unless this income is specificaly excluded by law, it is still taxable even if the it is not taxed by the state.

However if you are still working you can take as a business expenses certain impairmetn related expenses. Scroll in the document represeneted at the link, to impairment related expenses.

I am really sorry for that. I think police officers do as much for protecting us as the military.