Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

On my 1040, where do I enter school taxes paid The taxes

On my 1040, where do I enter school taxes paid? The taxes are based on the assessed value of my property.
Hello Mookies,

Your school taxes are entered on line 8 of Schedule A.

Schedule A is for itemized deductions, so you must be itemizing your deductions in order to take a deduction for these taxes.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Line 8 is taxable interest income. School taxes are a tax paid to our school district and to our public library based on the assessed value of our property. The taxes are not income.
Hello again Mookies,

The tax is entered on line 8 of SCHEDULE A - NOT directly on line 8 of the Form 1040. Please re-read my original post.

You must be itemizing your deductions on Schedule A in order to take a deduction for these taxes. You cannot be using the standard deduction.

If you are itemizing your deductions, then they are all entered on SCHEDULE A. On line 6 of Schedule A is where you enter your real estate taxes. On line 8 of Schedule A is where you enter any other taxes you paid, such as your school taxes.

If you are not itemizing your deductions, then you will not be able to deduct your school taxes.

Thank you.