Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

How do I determine the purchase price of a stock I bought I-dont-recall-how-man

How do I determine the purchase price of a stock I bought I-don't-recall-how-many years ago? I don't keep good records. Is there some method I can use to figure this out?

Continental Airlines, Inc. is traded on NYSE with the symbol "CAL"

You may find the stock price from Sep 11, 2001 to Dec 31, 2001 here -

You need to do your best to find out the purchase date and based on that - you will able to determine the purchase price.

The better you can determine the purchase date range - the more accurate would be the purchase price.

Continental Airlines did not pay any dividends - so you should not worry about adjustments.

Please let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX have thought of that, but you saved me a lot of time. I think I should be able to work backwards from the number of shares I owned and the amount I spent on them (I think just $1000). Are you allowed to put a date range on the tax form, or the method by which you determined the price?

As you purchased shared long ago - that would be long term gain/loss - reportable on the schedule D part II -

If you know the total purchase price - just use it as your basis.

If you can;t find out exact date - make the best guess - as long as this will be more than a year and the cost basis will not be affected - there will not be difference in calculation of your gain/loss.

If you purchased on several occasions - put "VARIOUS" in the field for purchase date.

Please let me know if you still need any help.