Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I am filling out a W3,for a church, what do I check in box b.

No Comment Added
Hello texas,

Does the church file its payroll taxes on a quarterly or annual basis?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
We file annual. But we do not hold anything out of our ministers checks.
Hello again texas,

If you file annually, then in box b you will check 944 payer.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is 944 specifically for a church. And am I filing this W3 because our pastor is receiving his Social Security check?
Hello again texas,

Did your church issue W-2 forms to the minister or anyone at all that they paid as an employee for the year?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, we issued a W2 to our minister. He is the only employee of our church. He makes $350 a week.
Hello again texas,

When you issue W-2 forms to anyone, then you must also send a copy of those W-2 forms to the IRS.

The W-3 form is merely a "cover form" that goes along with any W-2's you have issued for the year. It serves as a recap of all the W-2 forms that you are sending to the IRS. If you only have one W-2 form that you issued to your minister, then the information you supply on the W-3 form will only pertain to that one W-2 form.

The 944 is not specifically for a church. There is no classification specifically for a church. This is the classification for all filers who file on an annual basis, and that is what you should be using.

Thank you.