Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

With Church Donations, I have a couple questions. First, If

With Church Donations, I have a couple questions. First, If you only make one contribution of $25 dollars every other week (which equals around $600 bucks) do you stil need to show receipts b/c the one donations doesn;t exceed $250? Secondly, How does the Pension Act Plan of 2006 work with Church donations? Do I really have to provide all receipts when it comes to donating to Church organizations?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello JR,

Under the Pension Act Plan of 2006, you are now required to keep records of ALL cash contributions, regardless of the amount.

Adequate records include one of the following:

1. A bank record that includes the name of the organization, date and amount of donation. This could include a cancelled check, bank statement or credit card statement.

2. A written receipt from the organization you donated to.

3. Payroll deduction records, if your donation was made through your payroll.

Please refer to page 18 of the following publication under Records You Must Keep.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.