How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am starting a business as a window washer in Michigan I need

Customer Question

I am starting a business as a window washer in Michigan I need information on taxes and when to pay them. I will not be having employees, and its just a window washing business..nothing high rise. All residential and store fronts. Which business designation should i use? For taxes, how do i make estimated payments if this is my first year in business? What state tax laws are applicable to me as well? Any explanation on taxes and business designations would be greatly appreciated. If i didn't send this to the right expert, please forward it to the correct one. Thanks!
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  servqual replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for contacting justanswer.

Since your questions deal primarily with business taxes, I will forward your request to the tax experts.

From the perspective of a business law expert, likely you may want to consider a limited liability company (LLC) or an S Corporation (if you have employees and there may be some employee tax benefit).

Since Michigan may also require sales tax on services provided (as Ohio now requires), I will ask the tax experts to consider that issue for you as well.

I am sharing for your information so that you know your question has been forwarded. If you have future business law questions you may direct them to me or other business law experts. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok, Thanks
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.


please find here a reference to Michigan business tax forms -,1607,7-238-44079---,00.html


For sales tax issues - please refer to 2009 Instruction Book -

You must register to pay sales tax if you make retail sales of goods in Michigan even if the items you sell are not taxable.

Who is required to have a sales tax license? - Individuals or businesses that sell tangible personal property to the final consumer need a sales tax license. An application for a sales tax license may be obtained on our web site. In order to register for sales tax, please follow the application process.

See additional information here -,1607,7-238-43529-154427--,00.html


Michigan DOT offers Tax Seminars for New Business - see registration form for

Coming in Spring 2009 here -


You do not have to register LLC or corporation - unless you want to legally separate the business activities from your personal activities.

In this case you will be considered a self-employed.

Based on your estimated income - you need to pay quarterly estimated taxes to the IRS -

and to the Michigan DOT - 2009 Estimated Individual Income Tax Voucher -


Let me know if you need any help.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do i estimate income when this is going to be my first year in business, (both state and federal) and what state taxes do i need to pay? keep in mind i more then likely be operating as sole proprietorship.
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

The IRS expects taxes to be paid as income is earned or received.

Assuming - you are expecting gross income for 2009 to be $30,000 and your qualified business expenses $5000 - so you estimated net income would be $25,000

If you are single , standard deductions, no dependents, no other deductions or credits - your will owe self-employment taxes $25,000*15.3%=$3825

your taxable income will be $25,000 - $1913(half of self-employment taxes) - $5600(standard deduction) - $3600(personal exemption) = $13887

and your estimated income tax liability is $1666

Your total estimated tax liability would be $1666+$3825=$5491


Generally, you should make estimated tax payments for 2009 if at the tax time you will owe more than $1000 and the total amount of tax withheld and your tax credits will be less than the smaller of:
-- 90% of the tax to be shown on your 2008 tax return; or
-- 100% of the tax shown on your 2007 tax return (110% if your 2007 adjusted gross income exceeded $150,000).


Michigan income tax rate is 4.35%

Some cities have additional taxes - see here -

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How did you figure the income tax liability? would my My michigan tax would be (25000*.0435) $1088 right? based on the figures you provided if i made 30k minus 5k in bus exp.
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Your Michigan taxable income based on assumptions above would be

$25,000 - $1913(half of self-employment taxes) - $3600(Exemption allowance) = $19487

Your estimated Michigan tax liability is $19487*4.35%=$848


You main task would be to keep a good record of your income and business expenses.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience