How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I adopted my son in 2007. I was able to use part of the adoption

This answer was rated:

I adopted my son in 2007. I was able to use part of the adoption tax credit for my 2007 tax year. Now my son is eighteen and I have credit left over. Am I still allowed to use the other part of this credit? Because he was adopted through a state agency as a hard to place child, he is considered a special needs adoption.

Any adoption credit in excess of your tax liability can be carried forward to the next tax year. Excess adoption credits can be carried-forward for five years and is used up on a first-in, first-out basis. The credit can be claimed as long as the child was age 17 or younger in the year he was adopted.

The IRS provides a Credit Carryforward Worksheet in the Instructions for Form 8839.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Okay, I undestand and have skimmed over the Instructions for 8839 but my challenge is that I received the credit based on his special needs not on actual expensed. I am usting turbo tax and it tells me that he is no longer an eligble child because he is now 18. I am not clear on whether or not he is still an eligble chilld because he is 18. The instructions are not clear. It means a difference of at least 3500 in my return so I would like to have a good idea when I file. I do not want to owe the IRS money later on.
Hello againCustomer

Was the reason you did not use the entire credit in 2007 due to your modified adjusted gross income being over the limit?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no. It was because my deductions exceeded the amount of taxes that I paid during the year.

I am going to put this question back on the open board to see if there is another tax person who has more experience with this particular credit.

Hopefully you will have an answer soon.

Dear MD Webb,


I have been asked to take a look at this question.


Can you tell me this.


On what date did your son become adopted? (month and year please).


Please verify that you are taking the credits for money actually spent?


On what month and year did your son turn age 18?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.



My son was adopted in March 2007.

I am not taking credits from money actually spent (received the credit based on him being a special needs adoption. I am under the impression that I should be able to use my carry over credit.)


He turned 18 during May of 2008.


Thank you in advance.


God Bless



Thank you for getting back to me. I am just about ready to provide the answer. I appreciate your patience.


do you spend an dincur any adoption expenses in 2007?


Do I assume corretly that this adoption was final in 2007?


AND is your child handicapped in anyway and to what extent?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The adoption was final in 2007.

I did not have to incur any expenses because he was a special needs adoption. I received the credit only because he was special needs, not because of actual expenses.


He is not handicapped.



Based on the information provided. As long as this adoption was final before the year in which he bacame age 18, and your credit does not include adoption expenses or new credits accrued in 2008, (the year in which he became age 18),


AND the non-allowed credits were due to modified adjusted gross income phase out, then you can still carry forward the credits.


I understand the pubs on this are confusing. BUT they are based on when you accrue the expenses or are first entiteled to the credit.




Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience: GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Ed Johnson and 5 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience