Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer
Experience:  7 years tax preparation. IRS Registered Tax Preparer.
9660727

my name is XXXXX XXXXX my soial security is XXX-XX-XXXX,someone

Customer Question

my name is XXXXX XXXXX my soial security is XXX-XX-XXXX,someone has claimed my son for this year and I don't know who did,I would like to know if you could help me to find this out.His name isXXXXX his social security is XXX-XX-XXXX. thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 5 years ago.

Hello Ms. Burke. Thank you for coming to Just Answer and allowing us to help you with your question. Unfortunately, only the IRS can tell you who claimed your son. You can reach the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 or you can find if there is a local Taxpayer Assistance Center in your area by going to www.irs.gov/localcontacts or look in your local phone book under "United States Government, Internal Revenue Service". The IRS can help you determine who claimed your son.

Even though someone has already claimed your son, if he meets all of the requirements for being your dependent (he lived with you more than six months out of the year, he is less than 19 years old, and he didn't provide over half of his own support) and his biological father hasn't been given the right to claim him in a divorce decree or other legal statement, you can file your tax return by mail and also claim your son. If you and someone else both claim your son, then the IRS will investigate both tax returns claiming your son and award his tax benefits to whichever person has (and can prove) the better legal right to claim him. That should be you as his parent if he lived with you for more than six months. The only other person that could have a better legal right to claim your son would be his biological father if his father was allowed to claim your son in a divorce decree. The downside of claiming your son when he has already been claimed, is that your tax refund will be significantly delayed, maybe even for months. You will have to provide documentation to the IRS to prove that your son lived with you.

The other action you can take is to find out from the IRS who claimed your son and contact that person directly. You can try to work out a deal with the other person to give you some of their tax refund in exchange for not claiming your son on your return and having the IRS determine who has the legal right to claim your son.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if you need more information.

Jesse Handel, Tax Preparer
Experience: 7 years tax preparation. IRS Registered Tax Preparer.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanks alot for helping me.