Lou
Lou, Tax Preparer
Experience:  25+ yrs Experience Personal Income Taxes - Former DM for H&R Block in California
8893033

my wages for 2008 was $98400.00 I had $21600.85 fed withheld,$6100.80

Customer Question

my wages for 2008 was $98400.00 I had $21600.85 fed withheld,$6100.80 soc,$1426.00 med withheld,$7088 state,$693 other. How can i get less deductions , im claiming s 1
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lou replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. We appreciate the opportunity to be of service to you.

I am unclear as to what you mean by "less deductions"? Can you clarify?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Im paid weekly and i have over $1000 a week taken out in taxes. what can i do to lower that figure?
Expert:  Lou replied 8 years ago.

Change your W-4 and claim more allowances. Keep in mind that no matter what you do with your W-4 allowances when April 15 comes around you will have to pay any tax liability that would be due as a result of not having enough withheld..

There is nothing you can do to reduce the amount being withheld for social security and medicare. Those amounts are a % of income fixed by law.

The "other" is most likely CASDI (California State Disability Insurance) also a % speicifed by law.

That being said, I have attached a link to IRS Form W-4 which has detailed instructions to assist you in determining the ideal number of allowances you should select so as to not owe a great deal in taxes nor get a large refund.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

If you have any further questions on this topic please let me know.

Positive feedback is greatly appreciated.