Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

Do you pay taxes on Loss Wage Checks or Attendant Care Che

Do you pay taxes on Loss Wage Checks or Attendant Care Checks?
Hello Maria,

Could you please tell us more specifically what you are referring to when you say "loss wage" and "attendant care"?

Hello again Maria,

Sorry, I just now saw the additional information on your question regarding the car accident your son was in.

Did you or your son receive a 1099 form for these payments?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He was hit by a car on his way home from work. He suffers from Short Term Memory Loss. He sees a social worker. He suffers from spouts of anger. He's on medication to help control his mood swings. His Doctor says he still need 24-hr care to help him cope with his issues. He receives $450.00 a month for loss wages. The checks I receive varies from $3,000.00-$4,900.00 a month. When filing taxes do you claim this? Before we receive the checks the lawyers take out fees and court cost etc... We get the remaining amount. The checks start out at $7 or $8,000.00 a month. No we didn't. Nothing was sent to us.
Hello again Maria,

If you are receiving this money as a result of a settlement due to phyusical or mental injuries sustained by your son, then the money is not taxable and you do not need to report this money on your tax returns.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ThanK You!!! I really do appriciate your help. I just wanted to make sure. I don't want my son or myself to get in trouble with the IRS. Have a Wonderful Evening.
Thanks Maria,

Good luck to you and your son.