How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14863
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I dont think that my taxes were filed correctly what can i

Customer Question

I dont think that my taxes were filed correctly what can i do to get a secand opinion and if it was done wrong what can i do to get the correct refund
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 8 years ago.


If you feel that your tax return is not correct and you have already filed the return then you still may have someone else go over the return. If they find that there is a problem with the return then you may file an amended return. You have three years to file a 1040X to make corrections and receive any additional refund you are due.

If you feel that the amendment will result in your having to pay money to the IRS then you should not wait and as soon as your original return is processed (usually when you receive your refund) an amendment should be filed.

Amended returns are not allowed to be e-filed so you will be required to mail the 1040X.

Many tax preparation companies offer what they call"Second Look". Most do not charge unless they find a reason to complete a return for you. If you used a company or paid preparer I encourage you to contact them and advise of your concerns. Most professionals would be happy to sit with you and go back over the information.

I hope this information is helpful to you.

Related Tax Questions