How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ed Johnson Your Own Question
Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 10760
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Ed Johnson is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i recd a 1099-a form for a timeshare i purchased over a year

Customer Question

i recd a 1099-a form for a timeshare i purchased over a year ago... how do i know if i have to claim a loss or gain?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.



To know if you will take a loss or gain use the following formula that I modified just for you.


Capital gains 1099-a = Box 4 - (orignal cost, + improvements, + major repairs) - costs incurred by you for the abandonment.


Note; there are usually no costs associated with this type of transfer of property unless the bank asseses them to you.


If box 4 is greater than box 2, you do not normally have cancellation debt income.


If box 4 is less than box 2, then you may be subject to receiving a form 1099-C and having cancellation debt income.

Related Tax Questions