TaxMomNJ, Senior Tax Advisor
Experience:  7 years experience with tax preparation company, over 500 hours of tax courses taken

I divorced my husband last year. We seperated in March 2008

I divorced my husband last year. We seperated in March 2008 and were officially Divorced in September 2008. We still own our home while He lives in an Apartement now. I have a roomate who helps me pay my mortgage but My husband still helps me pay my utilites and make sure the house payments are made. He wants to use the house as an asset to him still. Which is fine with me. I just want to know if he is using it on his taxes can I still use it on mine? also with living with a roomate while I am doing my taxes do I add her as an Extra income for her rent money?

Whose name(s) is/are on the mortgage?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

WE are both still on the mortgage.

we have not changed anything about how we own the house since we bought it.

First of all, any rent your roommate pays to you is considered "other income" and should be included on Line 21 of your 1040.

Secondly, you and your ex-husband can legally deduct the portion of the mortgage you paid, so long as both of your names are XXXXX XXXXX mortgage. However, as far as your ex-husband goes, mortgage interest is only deductible on your "main" and "second" homes.