Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

I was widowed in early 2008 and remarried at the end of the

Customer Question

I was widowed in early 2008 and remarried at the end of the year. Will this affect my tax return and do I need to worry about any earnings that my first wife earned or file any return on her behalf?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.

Dear kkohler,

Thank you for your question.

If you filed a joint return with your deceased spouse, you can not then also file a joint return with your new spouse. Your new spouse can not include you as a dependent on her return for 2008.

However, if you mean that you filed a married seperate return for your deceased spouse:

, as long as you did not also include yourself as a dependent on your deceases spouse return, then your current joint return will not be affected.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I haven't filed anything for 2008. In previous years my wife and I always filed jointly and since I was married at the end of 2008, I need to file jointly for 2008. Neither of us has ever been a dependent on our tax returns

Thank you for getting back to me.

Then the return you filed for your deceased spouse in 2008, will not affect your joint reutnr with your new spouse. it will not reduce you refund.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I appologize for not getting back to you sooner. i will accept your answer this morning. Do I have to file a tax return on my deceased wife's behalf for 2008. She passed away in February and had some income. Is this my responsibility. She did pay in federal income tax