MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.

I overpaid CA state taxes and want to use the overpayment toward

Customer Question

I overpaid CA state taxes and want to use the overpayment toward 2009 taxes and decrease my withholdings for the remainder of 2009 to ensure no (or less) overpayment this year. How do I do that?
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 7 years ago.

First, you would elect to have your overpayment credited to your 2009 tax on line 46 of the Form 540.

You would then contact your employer and provide them with a new DE 4, withholding certificate. Below is a link to a spreadsheet and form that you can use to determine the number of exemptions to claim not that the government has the additional funds.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have to be honest - I had this information already and was looking for *how* to lower the amount withheld - the form isn't intuitive. I figured it out with my Payroll department this morning.

But, my real problem is that I felt like closing with "not that the government has the additional funds" was a bit odd. I appreciate that the government doesn't have money, but one person overpaying won't solve the problem. I'm in support of the golf tax (I golf) and the veterinary tax (I have pets), but I'm not in favor of me getting an IOU when I overpay my taxes...I, too, am short on cash with hiring freezes, looming layoffs, and cancelled bonus payments in the midst of rising costs and vanishing retirement savings.

The sarcasm is better saved for a situation where the author knows the recipient, in my opinion.