jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
3653323

Can I claim my handicapped daughter as my dependent although

Customer Question

Can I claim my handicapped daughter as my dependent although she is collecting social security disability payment every month?
Category: Tax
Expert:  jgordosea replied 8 years ago.

Greetings,

Yes, a child that has Social security income can be claimed so long as you provided more than half the support of the child.

For details on all the qualifications see A "Qualifying Child" :

In general, to be a taxpayer's qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

• Relationship - the taxpayer's child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.
  • Residence - has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.
  • Age - must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
  • Support - did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

I hope this helps for knowing the rules to claim a child with some income.

Best regards.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
handicapped daughter is a single 32 year old mother of 9 year old autistic boy who both lived with us all year round.
Expert:  jgordosea replied 8 years ago.

Hello again,

As you see, if she is "permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year" age does not matter for you to claim her as a Qualiyng child.

If not, you can see if she qualifies under Qualifying Relative rules:

There are four tests that must be met for a person to be your qualifying relative. The four tests are:

1. Not a qualifying child test,

2. Member of household or relationship test,

3. Gross income test, and

4. Support test.

Unlike a qualifying child, a qualifying relative can be any age. There is no age test for a qualifying relative.

Social securty does not count toward her Gross income for this test.

See http://www.irs.gov/publications/p501/ar02.html#en_US_publink100041887 for more details.

It seems she can still qualify as a qualifying relative based on what you posted.

I hope this helps to clarify for you.