Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I purchased farmland on contract. Do I need to send a 1099

I purchased farmland on contract. Do I need to send a 1099 form for interest paid in 2008.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Only interest payments made in the course of your trade or business are reportable on a 1099 form. Interest payments made for pesonal loans or loans related to the personal purchase of property are not reported on a 1099.

You will still deduct the interet on your tax return, and will show the name and social security number of the person you paid the interest to. That will be sufficient for your reporting the amount of interest you paid and who it was paid to.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.