Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

question about filing both a homeowners and renters refund.

My husband I were seperated (not legally) from jan-june of 2008. He rented an apartment during that time and I remained in our house with our children. He got a crp for the time he rented and also we own our home and pay property taxes.   My questions is, Can we file for both a property tax refund and renters refund?   On our MN state and Federal taxes we have always filed a joint return. Does this situation make a difference in how we file this year? Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated? Thanks!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello karebeary,

Yes, you and your husband may each claim a credit. You can claim the credit for the property taxes and he may claim a renters credit.

Please refer to the following Minnesota web site under the section titled "Special Homeowner Situations".

http://74.125.95.132/search?q=cache:7fjuvXANrcAJ:www.taxes.state.mn.us/taxes/prop_refund/refund_information/content/homeowners_refund.shtml+minnesota+property+tax+refund+married&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=1&gl=us

You can still file a joint return but you will have to each file separate M1PR forms to claim these credits.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

So yoursaying you think we can file a married joint return for Federal AND State taxes but seperately for the property tax credits?

Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello karebeary,

Yes, you may file your taxes on a joint return but you will each have to file separate forms for the tax credits.

On the Form M1PR where it asks for your gross income as reported on your federal return, you should only enter the amount of your income during the months you lived by yourself, plus the combined income of you and your spouse for the months you lived together. Each spouse should do the same. You will then attach a statement to the Form M1PR to explain why the amount does not match what was reported on your joint return, and show a breakdown of how you arrived at the income you are reporting.

Thank you.