MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
5142404

My wife and I had a time share that we felt we didnt want

My wife and I had a time share that we felt we didn't want anymore. We finished paying off the mortgage, but could not sell it. We were way behind on maintenance fees, but found out that for a fee (25% of the fees owed) we could deed the property back to the seller. Can this be declared a real estate loss, and is there a way of taking advantage to this situation on our tax filing this year?
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 7 years ago.

Dear Bill -

The time share is considered to be non-investement property, basically a second residence for personal use. As such, losses are not allowed and gains are taxed at capital gains rates.