Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

Can I claim depreciation, gas, repairs and maintenace on my

Can I claim depreciation, gas, repairs and maintenace on my personal vehicle which is used for business if my employer reimburses me a portion of my mileage under an accountable plan?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Yes, you may take a deduction for a percentage of your actual vehicle expenses such as fuel, repairs, maintenance and depreciation, or you may choose to use the more simplified method of claiming a standard mileage allowance for the miles you drove your car for business activities. However, in either case, you must then deduct the amount that was already reimbursed by your employer.

To claim these expenses you should file Form 2106. Once you figure your deductions on Form 2106, that then transfers over to Schedule A and is part of your itemized deductions. Expenses in this category of Schedule A are limited to those which exceed 2% of your adjusted gross income. So if your adjusted gross income was $50,000, the first $1,000 of these types of expenses could not be included.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.