How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I havent filed taxes in several years, can you please advi

Resolved Question:

I havent filed taxes in several years, can you please advise!
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

Do you know how many years it has been since you filed?

During those years, did you have income from a regular job or did you have income from self employment?

Do you have all of the records you need to file for those years?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I havent filed since1994 or about, yes sir i had income, no, not all the records,i got a ugly devorice from a ulgy women in 94, moved to Kansas left there with in 96 with a tax accountent holding my tax papers, witch he said he turned over to irs in witcha, ks.
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.
Hello againCustomer

Before you can do anything, you will need to get some records together in order to file your returns.

You may either call the IRS or you can fill out Form 4506-T to request a tax transcript for the years you need. Generally they will not have these records for longer than 10 years ago. There is no charge to request this transcript, and the transcript will be a record of any earnings that were reported on your record to the IRS and also the taxes which were withheld from those earnings.

Once you have those records, you can begin filling out the tax forms for the years you did not file. In years where you had enough tax withheld from your paychecks, and you owe no additional tax, then there will be no penalties. If there are years where you did not have enough tax withheld from your pay and you still owe additional taxes, you would also have to pay some penalties for late filing and late payment as well as interest on the unpaid amount.

If you are going to try to fill out these returns on your own without the assistance of a tax preparer, then you can go to the IRS website and and download the forms you need for each year.

You are probably not going to be able to get the information you need to go all the way back to 1994. But you should start with trying to file for the last 6 tax years. Once you complete those returns, if it ends up that you have a tax liability which is higher than you can afford to pay, you can then either submit an Offer in Compromise to the IRS to see if they are willing to settle the tax debt for a lower amount, or you can try to set up an Instlalment Agreement with the IRS to pay off the debt over a period of time.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Dear Merlo, thanks so very much for your help, i will get started in the am. Talk to you again soon!

Related Tax Questions