Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
9313471

I am 46, and have been living with my elderly mom now over

I am 46, and have been living with my elderly mom now over two years, due to age and health. She is 87, and hasn't work in over 15 years. Can I claim her as a dependant, and if so, what do I need, as far as paperwork is concerned. Thanking You in Advance,   Carlos
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. You can qualify to claim you mother as a dependent and file head of household status if you meet these tests:

1 You paid more than half the cost of keeping up your mother home

2 Your mother earned income is less than $3,500 in 2008 (Social Security does not count as earned income).

You should keeps receipts of expenses you paid for your mother during the year to prove that you paid more than half the cost of keeping up your mother home.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX quick response. Yes, I've paid more than half to maintain her home. I was added to her checking account, and title of our home, due to her dementia.

The only income she had was Social Security. But like you said, that DOESN'T count as earned income right? That was my concern. Carlos

Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 8 years ago.

Social Security is not earned income and will not count as earned income for tax purposes.