Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

My husband and I have an S corporation business. How much can

Customer Question

My husband and I have an S corporation business. How much can we deduct on our taxes for using our home as the place we do business?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

Dear Pilgrims,

As long as you are not renting the space to the S-corp, you can take home office expenses.

Please see this publication for details.

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p587.pdf

Essentially you will be able to deduct a portion of utilities, taxes, insurance, and depreciate a percentage use of the office as part of the FMV of the home.

this is subject to a 2% floor for schedule A and income limitations.

NOTE: as s-corp owners you are required to pay yourselves a W-2 wage reasonable for the amount of business revenues and level of work as corporate officers,

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p587.pdf

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
How do you figure out what the cost of the office space in the house is, and how do you figure out the depreciation percentage?

Dear Pilgrims,

You do not do a cost. YOu are not renting it out to the S-corp.

What you do is start with the percentage of floor space your office is of the entire house.

Say for example your office is 10 X 12. that equals 120 square feet.

If your house is 2400 square feet, then you create a percentage of that. your office is 120/2400 ths of the total house. (happens to be 5%).

So you can take 5% of:

1. utility charges

2. rugs

3. depreciation

In a nut shell. If your home's FMV today (day you put the space to use as an office) is 500,000 you can depreciate 5% of that 500,000 to arrive at a depreciation expense. Use MACRS convention for 15 year property. The depreciable basis in my example is 25,000.

The publication to which I gave you the link provides several descriptions of other expenses you can take for your home office.

That publication also describes in detail how to do figure the percentages.