How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I got married last year and my wife is still waiting for her

Resolved Question:

I got married last year and my wife is still waiting for her immigration to be processed so she still doesn't have a SSN. I'm doing my taxes through turbotax online, I filed married, filing separately, because she doesn't have any income to report, but it still asks me for a SSN. What do I do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Does you wife currently in the US?

Did she receive approval for a green card?


Customer: replied 7 years ago.
No my wife is still overseas awaiting her visa and immigration interview
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

This would be more beneficial for you to file married filing joint return. You may apply for ITIN for your wife at the same time you file the return.

To do so, you need your wife to sign tax documents and send them by mail (e-file will not be available in this case).

You may apply to ITIN at the time you file tax return. Attach this form to your return and mail both together. You will not be able to file electronically.

Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity documents to: XXXXX XXXXX Service Austin Service Center ITIN Operation P.O. Box 149342 Austin, TXNNN-NN-NNNN/p>


You may find additional information about ITIN here -,,id=96287,00.html including what documents are acceptable as proof of identity and foreign status.

Do not mail any original documents! Notarized copy of my Wife's passport would be OK. Include copy of her passport with visa, copy of married certificate.


Please let me know if you need any help.


Customer: replied 7 years ago.

My wife is applying for a SSN at the time of her visa application, so I think it will be better to wait until she has her SSN, because it says there that you cannot have a SSN and ITIN. And I thought it would be better to file separately because we lived apart all last year and she has no income to report. Is this correct?

Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.
<p>If you are married on the last day of the year - you may file joint tax return as a married couple.</p><p>Because your wife has no income - it would be more beneficial to file jointly - so you will have full deductions for yourself and for your spouse - and get better refund.</p><p> </p><p>As your wife will receive a green card after she comes to the US - she is not eligible for SSN yet - and that would be absolutely correct to apply for ITIN.</p><p> </p><p>You may file a separate tax return - agree - but later after your wife will receive SSN - you may amend your return and get a full benefits.</p><p> </p><p> </p>
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 6 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok thank you for your help!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience