Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS

Can I claim my 22 year old daughter as a qualified relative

Customer Question

Can I claim my 22 year old daughter as a qualified relative if she has lived with me for the majority of the year and has no income? I am her sole means of support, unfortunately.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. You can claim your daughter as a qualified child if her earned income is less than $3,500, lived with you for more than half of the tax year,you provided over half of her support and she cannot be claim as a dependent by another taxpayer.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
would like addiitional responses from CPA
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will accept your answer, but i read an IRS publication that contridicts your answer. It states that I can claim as a qualifying relative, but not a qualifying child. I question your credentials as I was looking for a CPA not just someone that did an online search. I will pay the $15 and cut my losses, but not use the sevice again.
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.

Do you want to claim the head of household filing status? Do you want to claim the earned income tax credit for your daughter?