How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in CT but will work in NY. If I get a $35,000 yearly

This answer was rated:

I live in CT but will work in NY. If I get a $35,000 yearly salary how much will I have left after all the taxes are taken out? Do I get a tax break for the $400 I spend on commuting a month? Will the employer take all the taxes out, or do I need to put some aside to pay something at the end of the year?

Your commuting expenses between CT and NY are not a deductible expense.

As far as your taxes, the amount that is deducted from your check will depend on how you fill out your W-4 form. That will determine the amount the employer withholds for federal and state taxes.

If you are filing your taxes as a single person with only yourself as a dependent, then your taxable income would be around $26,050. Your taxes on this amount would be approximately $3,500 for federal tax, $1,785 for NY state tax and $2,677 for your share of social security and medicare taxes. You should fill out your W-4 form as single with one exemptiion in order to acheive this level of withholding.

Since you reside in CT you will also need to file a state tax return with CT, but you will be given credit for any state tax you already paid to NY, thereby eliminiating any double taxation on the same income.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.
Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am married, so how much would that change the amounts?
Hello againCustomer

Do you also have children or other dependents?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no just me and my husband
Does your husband also have income? If so, how much?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
He does he gets about $19,000 a year.
Hello againCustomer

If you and your husband have a combined income of $54,000, after your standard deductions and personal allowances, your combined taxable income is $35,600. Your federal taxes on that amount would be approximately $5,238 and state taxes would be approximately $2,300.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I am still so confused by all those numbers :) I am just trying to figure out how much I would get bi-weekly after paying taxes. $35,000 sounds great for a year, but considering $400 a month for commuting I am just not sure how much I will end up with after the taxes are taking out. I tried those online calculators, and it said I would get about $800 every two weeks after taxes. But I wasnt sure if that was right, I put it in for NY taxes. I didnt know if they would take anymore out. Thank you so much for all your help, you are amazing!
Hello againCustomer

If you fill out your W-4 form as married with zero dependents, they should take out approximately $63 each week for federal tax, $46 for state and $52 for social security and medicare. This would leave you with net income of $512 per week, and the taxes paid in will be close to what you owe at the end of the year.

Your husband should fill out his W-4 the same way.

Merlo and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you