Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee

list of truck driver tax deductible expenses

Customer Question

Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 7 years ago.

Dear chchievargas,

Are you a self-employed (owner operator)

or a wage earner (W-2)

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
owner operator 6 mos and w-2 6 mos
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

sorry I wanted a list of deductible expenses so i can do taxes...

I tried posting but your last post kicked out what I wrote.

The list is way to exhaustive to itemize here.

Let me answer in this way.;

For the W-2 employment you can take employee business expenses realted to out of pocket expenses. ANY out of pocket expenses for the maintenance of your vehicle and actual transport,as long as you have receipts including per diem. However as a W-2 employee you have to also claim any thing the employer pays or reimburses you when you itemize business expenses. You can also claim union dues uniforms, and tools.

You us schedule A to claim your employee business expenses.

For the time that you were an owner operator you can claim any and all business related expenses to your truck driving that is concidered reasonable for your industry which is virtually anything you can think of for your truck. How can I give you an itemized list of thousands of things. I know what is involved in a trackter trailer unit, he maintenence, the repairs, etc.

You use schedule C to claim expenses for the period of time you were an owner operator. The schedule C gives you a good list of what categories of things you can deduct.

Also the following publications can also help you to find what things you can deduct for being a trucker. They do not say trucker, but it applies because as an owner operator you are a business. Your truck is your equipment.

Business expenses:

Transportation expenses:

I know you want a list, this site has already done some good work showing what truck drivers can deduct: