Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I collected unemployment and need the tax id number for my

I collected unemployment and need the tax id number for my unemployment office. When I called the office and asked for it, the clerk told me I would have to wait for the 1099. I don't want to wait two or three weeks! How else can I get it?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Unfortunately, there are no public records of tax id numbers, as that is considered to be private information. It is no different than the fact that there is no public record of your social security number.

However, if you are wanting to file your tax return now, electronic filing does not even start until January 16th, so you may even have your 1099-G form by then. They have until January 31st to get this issued, but many times they will arrive earlier.

If you are planning to mail your return, then you do not need the tax id number of the payer and you do not need to include a copy of the 1099 form, unless tax was withheld from your payments.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.