Marvin,EA
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
9313471

I SUPPORTED MY DAUGHTER AND 2 GRANDCHILDREN THIS PAST YEAR,

I SUPPORTED MY DAUGHTER AND 2 GRANDCHILDREN THIS PAST YEAR, HER DEADBEAT HUSBAND AND FATHER SPENT 6 MONTHS IN JAIL AND REALLY I'VE BEEN SUPPORTING THIS FAMILY FOR THE PAST 3 YEARS UNTIL I KICKED MY SON IN LAW OUT OVER A YEAR AGO AND MY DAUGHTER AND GRANDKIDS STAYED, SINCE HE HAS BEEN OUT OF JAIL HE'S BEEN WORKING FOR 3 MONTHS AND SAYS HE IS GOING TO CLAIM THEM, CAN HE DO THIS OR DO I HAVE A LEGAL RIGHT TO?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 7 years ago.
Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. If you grandchildren lived with your for more than 6 months during the year, you provided more than 50% of the support for your grandchildren and your daughter let you treat her children as your qualifying children, you have a legal right to claim your grandchildren. You son in-law cannot claim the children unless you daughter give him permission to claim the children.