MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.

on feb 07 wife(now ex)filed thru h&r block.Did program with

on feb 07 wife(now ex)filed thru h&r block.Did program with HSBC.All of refund was to go into my checking account.Wife went behind my back had all of $6400 put into her account.Filed small claims against HSBC and settled out of court for $7500.$6400 for refund,$600 for legal fees,$500 for bounced check fees and credit card late payment fees.HSBC is filing a form1099 on this.Do I have to pay any taxes on any of this?
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 7 years ago.

Whatever amount is shown on the 1099 will be taxable income. The actual refund was remitted to your spouse. You can deduct the actual legal fees you paid in 2008 as miscellaneous itemized deductions on Schedule A. The other fees incurred were personal expenses and are not deductible.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

But I never recieved my refund.My ex got it thru deceptive differant than some one else getting it wrongly.As stated in the contract with HSBC the refund can go only into MY account,not some out of state one so legally I never recieved it.The law suit was to get my refund which was never deposited into MY account.If any one should have to pay taxes on it,it would be my ex.I still dont understand why I should have to pay taxes on a refund I never recieved.