Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

I am a bankruptcy attorney and I prepare my clients bankruptcy

I am a bankruptcy attorney and I prepare my client's bankruptcy petitions at home, but I work from my bedroom. Can I deduct any portion of my motgage?
Hello KSalmon,

In order for you to write off a portion of your home expenses as "home office expense", you must use one area of your home regularly and exclusively for your business needs.

You cannot set up a computer or desk in your den or your bedroom and then claim that room as your home office. The area you claim as use for a home office must be exclusively used for business purposes in order to claim this deduction.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.