Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

My Parents have passed away and I am the Trustee of their Revocable

My Parents have passed away and I am the Trustee of their Revocable Trusts and the Personal Representative of their Wills. I have 2 borthers and I am to distribute the inheritance to all 3 of us equally. The entire estate is worth about $100,000. Do we have to pay federal estate tax? We all live in California. Will we also have to pay inheritance tax as individuals?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 7 years ago.

Sorry for your loss...

Please be aware that the Revocable Trusts becomes irrevocable after your parents died.

There is no inheritance tax neither on the federal level nor in California. Inheritance is not taxable income and should not be reported on your tax return.

Assuming your parents weer living in California - California doesn't have estate taxes. Federal estate taxes are for estates with total value above $2,000,000 (for decedents died in 2008)

Only if the estate includes any tax deferred accounts - such as IRAs, 401k, etc - and beneficiaries would take any distributions from these accounts - the distributed amounts would be taxable income.

As the Personal Representative you may want to become familiar with the IRS publication 559 -

Please let me know if you need any clarification.