Ed Johnson
Ed Johnson, Tax Preparer
Experience:  GPHR Cert; U.S. Treasury Tax Advocacy Panel appointee
586644

My wife and i are 62 how much can we earn and not pay back

My wife and i are 62 how much can we earn and not pay back any social security if we take it now
Category: Tax
Expert:  Ed Johnson replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer

Thank you for your question.

when you start getting your Social Security payments, $1 in benefits will be deducted for each $2 you earn above the annual limit. For 2009 that limit is $14,160; and for 2008, that limit is $13,560. Remember, the earliest age that you can receive Social Security retirement benefits remains 62 even though the FRA is rising.

• In the year you reach your FRA: $1 in benefits will be deducted for each $3 you earn above a different limit, but only counting earnings before the month you reach FRA. For 2009, this limit is $37,680; for 2008, this limit is $36,120.
  • Starting with the month you reach FRA:, you will get your benefits with NO limit on your earnings.
  •  

NOTE FRA means Full Retirement Age.