Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I just received a letter from the State of Louisiana saying

I just received a letter from the State of Louisiana saying that I owe almost $4000 in taxes from 1997. I no longer have any records from that far back due to a flood that destroyed my records before 2000 so I can't look for a return for that year. I have not even lived in Louisiana since late 2000. Is there no statute of limitations on Louisiana state taxes? I never owed more than $500/yr in state taxes back then so I assume the amount claimed must include penalties and interest. What are my options here?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 8 years ago.

The question is - if you filed 1997 Louisiana income tax return.

If not - there is no statute of limitation for assessment.

If you filed 1997 Louisiana income tax return - the question would be - when additional tax were assessed - generally tax may be assessed within three years starting from the date the tax return was filled.

If additional tax assessment were within statute of limitation period - the question would be about the statute of limitation on collection - generally tax may be collected within ten years after it was assessed.