Brad
Brad, Retired IRS Agent
Experience:  Retired; 32 years service and expertise in Individual, Partnership, Trust, Corporate Tax Law;Mensa
7796944

Hi, is there an easy formula for me to understand the home

Hi, is there an easy formula for me to understand the home office tax write off versus depreciation costs when I go to sell? I just bought my home and always rented prior so the home office write off was a no brainer. Now that I own, I hear there could be a depreciation tax I will later have to pay. I think it is still well worth it for me to have my home office, but am hoping there is an easy way to know. Thanks in advance for your help.

Good Day,Customer

It's fairly easy to compute the business percentage of your home for IRS purposes.

You'll need the total area of your home and the total area of your office in the home.

Assuming you have a 2000 sq ft home (maybe 50 by 40), you might measure your office to be 10 by 20, or 200 sq ft. Then, the business percentage is 200/2000 or 10%.

Since you just bought a house, you know its basis less the cost of the land.

If you paid $300,000 for house and land with the land worth 50,000, the house basis is

$250,000.

You would take home office depreciation of $25,000 over 39 years, which comes to

$641 per year.

Download and review the following IRS Publication on Office in Home expenses for further clarification and examples. It's a handy publication to keep in your office.

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p587.pdf

Do contact me again if you have any questions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Great and thank you for your help! It will make my tax preparation much more effecient. Smile