Wendy Reed
Wendy Reed, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.

I am considering a change of residency to the state of Idaho.

I am considering a change of residency to the state of Idaho. I am a retired federal government employee. Would my federal pension be subject to state taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Wendy Reed replied 7 years ago.

Hello there ndean 0109,

Idaho does tax most pension income, and your retirement benefits would be taxable in the same manner as they are taxable to the federal government. There are several Idaho Pension exclusions, but it depends on what type of pension yours is. Retirement annuities paid by the Federal Employees Retirement System do not qualify for exclusion, whereas certain civil service and military pensions do. See page 22 of this Idaho State Tax Instructions Booklet for more information:

Idaho income tax rate varies from 1.6 - 7.8%

For your information, I am giving you a link to a website that compares states for retirement living: