MequonCPA
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
5142404

irs is claiming that i did not file my taxes for 2005 but i

irs is claiming that i did not file my taxes for 2005 but i remember cashing a check, what should i do about obtaining proof if i lost my copies for that year and cant get in contact with the person who did my taxes?
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 8 years ago.

DearCustomer-

You could contact your state department of revenue and request a copy of your 2005 return. Many states require that a copy of the federal return is attached to the state.

If you received a refund in 2006 for 2005, you can review your bank statements for deposits that might be the refund, and request a copy of the check to send to the IRS for proof.

You could try "googling" the preparer's name, or contact others that may have used the preparer's services.