How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask MequonCPA Your Own Question
MequonCPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2342
Experience:  CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
MequonCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

irs is claiming that i did not file my taxes for 2005 but i

Resolved Question:

irs is claiming that i did not file my taxes for 2005 but i remember cashing a check, what should i do about obtaining proof if i lost my copies for that year and cant get in contact with the person who did my taxes?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 7 years ago.



You could contact your state department of revenue and request a copy of your 2005 return. Many states require that a copy of the federal return is attached to the state.


If you received a refund in 2006 for 2005, you can review your bank statements for deposits that might be the refund, and request a copy of the check to send to the IRS for proof.


You could try "googling" the preparer's name, or contact others that may have used the preparer's services.

MequonCPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions