Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad

I didnt get my charitable donations done before year end.

I didn't get my charitable donations done before year end. If I still donate now, would it still be deductible for 2008 or not?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 7 years ago.
Hello pj.mitchell,

Contributions (or any deductible expense) are only deductible in the actual year they are paid.

If you make a contribution by check, then if the check itself is not cashed until sometime in 2009, you can still take the deduction as long as your check was dated in the 2008 tax year. However, if you are making donations by credit card, your contribution date will be the transaction date posted on your credit card statement.

If you are donating items such as clothing or household items to an organization such as Goodwill, your contribution date will be determined by the receipt you receive from the organization.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.