Merlo
Merlo, Accountant
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
9573734

Ive just earned $60,000 singing with orchestras in the US

Customer Question

I've just earned $60,000 singing with orchestras in the US and had $20,000 deducted at source as foreign artist's tax....I am UK resident living in Amsterdam. Can I reclaim this money from the IRS ? do I need to make a return....I have never done so before altho I have been working regularly in the US for 20years....but never earning as much....
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The IRS imposes tax on everyone who earns money in the US, regardless of whether or not they are a US citizen, so you will need to file a tax return with the IRS at the end of the year. You will be filing as a non-resident alien so you will use Form 1040NR.

However, the US does have a tax treaty with the UK so you may also claim a credit for any tax you paid to the UK on this same income.

The tax treaty prevents double taxation of the same income. Whether or not you will receive any refund will ultimately depend on how much tax you paid in the UK on this same income. Since your income was from a US source, that will typically take precedence over your UK tax. So while you may not get a US refund, you should likely not owe tax in the UK.

If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks so much Merlo...I just wish I thought as clearly as you obviously do when dealing with tax matters!! I'll get back to you if I have any problems thanks... Jumbo
www.davidwilsonjohnson.com
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.

ThanksCustomer

Come back anytime.