How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We would like to buy a vacation home in the U.S. and would

This answer was rated:

We would like to buy a vacation home in the U.S. and would like to know if the interest payments will be tax deductible. We would use the house for one or two weekends per month and maybe one more week for ourselves. The rest of the time we would like to rent it out as much as possible since it is in an expensive location. We own another house that we live in. The real estate agent had hinted that there may be changes in the tax regulations coming, but advised us to talk to a tax specialist in this regard. We would therefore be very much interested in what your opinion about eventual/likely future law changes in regards XXXXX XXXXX deduction for vacation homes are.

The mortgage interest is deductible for the primary and one secondary home.

There is no guarantee that the law would not be changed in the future. So far - I am not aware that this deduction will be taken away any time soon.


If you will use the property as rental - all expenses - including mortgage interest and depreciation will be deducted against rental income.

You would need to prorate rental use and personal use - probably according time the property is used for each purpose.

If you will have rental losses - they are generally deducted against your other taxable income - however there are some limitations on deductions.


Please let me know if you need any clarification or any details related to your situation.




Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much for your answer. Since I am not very familiar with the whole topic, I wanted to ask you to please clarify for me. For me it would be easiest if we used some real example figures.

* Monthly rent is $3000, house is rented out for 4 months per year
* Interest is $4000 per month, property tax $1000 per month
* Insurance, utility cost are $ 300 per month.

Which amounts are tax deductable? Could you please also explain what "depreciation " means and "rental losses" are?

As you will rent the property four months out of twelve - it will be considered 33% as rental and 67% as personal based on its use.


Property taxes are fully deductible - on the schedule A (assuming you itemize)

Mortgage interest is also deductible - 33% on the schedule E as rental expenses and 67% on the schedule A.

Insurance, utility cost - only 33% are deductible on the schedule E as rental expenses; other part would be considered as personal and is not deductible).


Rental income should be reported as income on the schedule E.

The 33% of the property cost should be depreciated and that will be expense.


Let me know if you links to forms.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
That clarified a lot for me. One last thing: how is the amount of the depreciation of the property calculated? I am just curious to understand if that amount will offset the rental income, so that net we don't have to assume that we need to pay taxes on the rent.

The residential rental property depreciated over 27.5 year period.


So assuming you paid for the property $500,000 and it is used as rental 33% of the time - the cost basis for depreciation will be $500,000*33%=$165,000

Every year you will deduct $165,000/27.5=$6000


However at the time you sell the property - depreciation should be recaptured and added to your taxable income.


You may need to become familiar with the IRS publication 527 - - please be aware that it is not updated for 2008 yet.


Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 28081
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Lev and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I just saw in the payment confirmation that you were credited only $15. I wanted to add another $15 and don't know what I did wrong (I am first time user). Do you know how I can correct the amount?

You are absolutely correct. Your payment and the bonus were applied as you wanted.

Appreciate that and your warm words.

Would be glad to help you with any other tax related issues in the future.


JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience