How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Merlo Your Own Question
Merlo, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 9783
Experience:  25+ years tax consulting. Specializing in returns for US citizens living abroad
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Merlo is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a contracted provider for a health insurance company declare

Customer Question

Can a contracted provider for a health insurance company declare a tax write-off for undercompensated services or services that have been denied as included in another service? For example a doctor bills $200 and the insurance company allows $100. Can a contracted provider declare this write off amount of $100 on his/her taxes?
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Merlo replied 8 years ago.



No, a provider cannot write off the difference between the billed amount and the contracted amount.


The provider is under no obligation to contract with the insurance company for the agreed-to rates. If the provider does enter in to such an agreement, then he is bound to accept those rates in payment for his services and cannot write off the difference as a deduction.


If this was helpful please press the Accept button. Positive feedback is also appreciated.


Thank you.